Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Tradition


Happy Easter!

appetizers
It was nice not having to clean my house this year for Easter meal.  I don’t mind the cooking or table setting, but I dislike that our house is usually such a wreck that I need to spend time cleaning and picking things up.  Granted my friends who share our holiday table are a forgiving group, but the condition of our home is usually a wreck!  Just look what the kids did to their Easter basket in 20-minutes, maybe it was even less than 20-minutes!

this is what the Easter basket looks like, small
view into how our whole house looks. yikes!
Since I didn’t have to cook or clean for Easter, my son and I went out for waffels at a new waffle place, called The Wafel Shop.  Yes, there is an “f” missing.  They were open until 2pm on Easter Sunday.  Perfect for us.  I tried their Liege waffle, which is petit but indulgent.  The woman at the counter asked if I wanted any toppings.  I thought she was crazy because it’s already sweet.  Even though I don’t count calories and I probably should, it seemed calorie-ladden.  My son got the Belgium wafel with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and two strips of bacon.  I also got a soy streamer.   Luckily I had more than a $20 with me.

Boy and his wafel
                      We made it back home in time for me to make a platter of curry deviled eggs and Brussles Spouts sautéed in bacon fat & topped with bacon.  Super yummy.  The hostess asked that I bring that as my contribution.  Nice that I make a dish that people look forward to eating.  The other guest, Molly, makes the most amazing cheesy mashed potato dish that is mandatory that she bring. 

Years ago when I hosted my first Thanksgiving with my Ann Arbor friends, I asked Molly to bring a mashed potato dish, it was something that takes several steps and if I could ask someone to deal with it, it would be helpful to me.  Little did I know, she would bring the most awesome mashed potato dish ever! 

There is some history to our gatherings.  My husband and I (with our children) do not have any family close by.  We later discovered that our friends, Kelly and Molly, were in the same situation.  Making a big family dinner just for our immediate family wasn’t worth doing (mostly because our kids weren’t going to eat much of the meal), but what if we got together?  Hence, we have spent our Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter holiday meals together.  People ask, what about your parents, what do you do when they come?  We bring them to whomever is hosting.  It’s as if we are all family.

I feel like these ladies are my family.  I always say, I’m eternally indebted to Molly.  I was a new mother with a 10-day son when I met her at Le Leche League (Ann Arbor 3) meeting in St. Joe’s Senior Center back in 1994.  I was a mess!  My baby boy was nursing constantly and not gaining weight, I was tired, sleep-deprived and unsure of nearly everything.   There was this group of moms with 8-month-old babies who had it all together, sitting on the floor, bouncing their smiling babies and telling me – it gets better.   Many of them have been where I was!  They talked about being at the mall all sitting around nursing and they didn’t care if anyone saw.  I knew I was in love with these moms.  During the meeting, Molly told me – “you need a mom’s group.”  I thought, “yes, I do, but where do I find one??”  I don’t know if I said that out loud or she read my mind, but she told me they had a yahoo group and what was my email address.  I couldn’t even remember my email address!  She wittingly said, “oh they didn’t tell you when you gave birth to your placenta, your brain went with it?” followed by what I consider her trademark laugh.  That was my introduction to a fabulous group of moms. 


table setting with lovely baskets
with candies 
 This year, we celebrated Easter with Kelly at her home.  Here is the bountiful amount of shrimp and my tray of deviled eggs for appetizers.

As in our household, ham was served, with Kelly’s summer squash & zucchini casserole, Molly’s cheesy mashed potatoes and my Brussel sprouts, with salad and biscuits.  Many bottles of wine were opened and drank.   Hoping your Easter was as warm and delightful!

1 comment: